On 06.09.2007 David W. Fenton wrote:
While I'm all for that, there is a major philosophical problem when it comes to the issue of us not being authentic listeners. We simply can't hear the music the same as they did, even when we replicate the forces of performance as closely as possible. Every performance of old music is metaphorically a transcription, I think, and this is something we should keep in mind when evaluating historical practices.

That is not to say that I don't want to hear the music with historical instruments and using historically-informed practices, it's just that I know we can never get the same meaning, however closely we may try to replicate the mere sounds.

So what exactly are you saying? Historical instruments yes, but forces no, because we are not hearing them in the candlelight? Your argumentation makes no sense to me.

Johannes
--
http://www.musikmanufaktur.com
http://www.camerata-berolinensis.de

_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to