aOn 6 Sep 2007 at 19:03, Johannes Gebauer wrote:

> On 06.09.2007 David W. Fenton wrote:
> > Consider present-day college student with no musical training who has 
> > never (knowingly) heard Bach's music: will a well-done performance of 
> > a Bach choral work with 20 singers and modern instruments any less 
> > accessible than one by Joshua Rifkin's group, with one on a part and 
> > early instruments? I think that at that point it's not the 
> > instruments/singers that make the difference but what the musicians 
> > involved do with the music.
> 
> I certainly never said larger performances should be banned, did I? But 
> if the public is simply misled by calling that a "historical 
> performance" I object.

Are you saying that a performance of a Bach choral work with original 
instruments and 2 singers on a part (of a work for which extant 
performing parts indicate one on a part) should not merit the 
"historical performance" moniker?

If so, then I accuse you of the dogmaticism that I've already laid at 
Rifkin's feet, as the whole point is that there are only degrees by 
which we can approach a "historical performance" -- where one draws 
the line is, of course, a judgment call, but drawing at doubling the 
singers seems to me to be a severely narrow interpretation of what 
can be musically and historically appropriate.

That said, I wasn't suggesting that the performance with 20 singers 
and modern instruments be called a "historical performance" -- that 
misses the entire point of my hypothetical. The point was that for 
the modern listener, these things make much less of a difference in 
the musical experience than does the commitment with which the 
performers play the music.

I'm all for historical performance, as much as is possible, yes.

But I think that, whatever musical subtleties it does enhance, it 
makes less of a musical difference than the musical gifts of a 
particular performer.

-- 
David W. Fenton                    http://dfenton.com
David Fenton Associates       http://dfenton.com/DFA/


_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to