On Dec 1, 2007 3:43 PM, Giuliano Forghieri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I can think of several situations where that would not be neither
> quick nor painless,

What I mean is that the actual process of creating the tuplets is quick and painless. If you are thinking of situations where the actual process of creating the tuplets is not quick or painless, I'd like to know what they are. If you choose a source measure that has only the invisible tuplet for that meter, Mass Copy will copy it repeatedly to every measure. Since any measure that has music has an entry at the beginning of the measure, the copy is quick and painless, qed. It does not matter whether there are visible tuplets in the target bars.

Obviously with any workaround there are extra steps. Unfortunately, MM (and Coda before it) have never gotten Independent Time Sigs right. What I like about using the invisible tuplets workaround is that everything just works once you've set it up. The problem entering smart shapes is just the tip of the iceberg of problems you encounter with independent time sigs, unless all the underlying sigs are actually the same. I have not experimented enough lately to know which problems may have been fixed, nor can I frankly remember them all now. It has become one of those "here there be dragons" features for me.

As long as I am touting Mass Copy, I should mention that long-time Finale users sometimes have trouble wrapping their minds around the fact that Mass Copy (unlike Finale's built-in copy) is completely free of barlines. (I also am a Finale 1.0 purchaser and user, btw.) That sounds like just words until you actually try it with a source pattern that includes, e.g., hairpin dynamics. Then the lightbulb goes on.

I am frankly puzzled why anyone would stick with Fin06 if they have Fin07. I disagree that problems were not fixed. On the contrary, many problems were fixed. And linked parts is incredibly useful even if you have your parts in a separate file from the score. I couldn't imagine going back. Finally, of course, is the fact that Fin07 runs native on an Intel Mac.

About the only time I use Fin06 is to open certain old files where Fin07 changes the placement of some articulations due to a change in the way Fin07 reads Font Annotation files.

Now, Fin08 is a completely worthless upgrade: arguably the most worthless upgrade ever released. You have to learn an entirely new Copy/Paste workflow, and you don't get a single new useful feature or bugfix as a reward. Fin08 sits registered but unused on my hard drive, unless I have to debug a file sent by some poor sucker who adopted it.

(I suppose some might say ScoreMerger is a useful new feature of Fin08. Personally, knowing what it has to do, I don't trust it for any but trivial jobs.)

--
Robert Patterson

http://RobertGPatterson.com
_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to