On 14 Dec 2007 at 13:11, Mariposa Symphony Orchestra wrote:
> David: as so often, I marvel at your knowledge.
I was very curious about it.
> I'm on DSL.
Is your computer plugged directly into the DSL modem, or do you have
a router in between?
> As previously stated, I don't have this problem with any other servers to
> which my e-mail is directed. The <only> other similar instance: my ISP
> (Sierratel) was briefly tagged a few years ago as a spam sourcer by AOL and
> all STI clients were blocked BY AOL under the situation was resolved.
It looks to me like your ISP doesn't configure its dynamic IP
addresses with automatic hostnames. Is "Les" the name of your PC?
That would be my guess of what's going wrong, in that there's no way
for the SHSU servers to verify that the machine named Les is really
supposed to have that IP address.
I don't know what would happen if you put a router in between your
DSL modem and your PC. There'd be no name provided for the router
then (unless you assign one), so that might not get you anywhere. If
you look at the RECEIVED: headers for my email, you'll see that the
first header is for the cable modem and has a rr.com host name that
is resolvable via DNS lookup to a particular IP address:
Received: from cpe-74-72-215-31.nyc.res.rr.com ([74.72.215.31]
helo=[192.168.2.204]) by cs.cs-server26.com with esmtpa (Exim 4.68)
(envelope-from <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) id 1J3HYE-0006Ku-Vm
for [email protected]; Fri, 14 Dec 2007 15:54:31 -0500
The "helo" IP address is my PC's IP address on my local LAN (a non-
routable NAT address), but the cable modem connection has been
assigned the host name cpe-74-72-215-31.nyc.res.rr.com, which
resolves via DNS to the IP number 74.72.215.31.
What the header in your email is telling us is that your ISP's SMTP
server can't match up "Les" as host name with the IP address, which
is why it's marked UNVERIFIED. And having any UNVERIFIED hosts in the
RECEIVED: headers seems to trigger SHSU's X-Greylist header.
> Other than that, I dunno.....and can only ask patience from those who may
> (for some reason) be perturbed when those tags are added to my subject lines
> by the shsu server. And just be pleased - all around - that I post to the
> list fairly infrequently!
I can't figure out any pattern to when it tags the message headers.
Nor is it 100% predictable when the X-Greylist header is added, given
that some of Michael Good's post came through with UNVERIFIED host
names in the headers but no X-Greylist header. But it's quite clear
that all the FRAUD tags came from posts with SHSU's X-Greylist
header.
BTW, the lack of host resolution for the first RECEIVED: header is
likely the reason that AOL rejected your emails or classified them as
SPAM, since that's one of the common ways that spam has historically
been injected into the email ecology.
--
David W. Fenton http://dfenton.com
David Fenton Associates http://dfenton.com/DFA/
_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale