Eric Dannewitz wrote:
I helped out a friend this weekend get a new computer (Vista.....ugh),
and we set up Finale 2008. He wants to write big band arrangements,
and was really excited to have a computer powerful enough to run the
Garritan sounds.

Anyhow, we were setting up some of his templates to use Garritan
Finale sounds, and noticed there is no Bari sax? No bari sax? What? It
has all these other instruments in it, but no Bari Sax?

Does he need to get the Jazz and Big Band library to get a proper big
band sax section?

Yes -- it's a "here's what's possible but not quite all that's possible, so you gotta buy more" hook-em program.

Or a "first hit's free" hook-em program.

Of course you can use the GM soundfont which has the bari-sax in it. Different level of sample quality, of course, but at least you put a sax section together and have all the notes sound.

Just be thankful there are any saxes at all -- the first incarnation of GPO/Finale had no saxes at all.

--
David H. Bailey