i am using filemaker, some of the terms may be specific to it...

if you spend the time in the beginning you will save loads of time rebuilding / restructuring the thing later. keep it simple, but each type of data should have its own field. do not build multiple DBs, keep all the information in one file with separate tables (members, scores, composers, performances [?]). the tables are linked by the ID numbers.

each record should have an ID number (unique within the table) and should contain unique information. for eg. piece A (orch) and piece A (piano redux) should be separate records.

in the works table, for example:
composition_title
composed_in
composer_ID
fl_scored
ob_scored
cl_scored
[...]
fl_parts
ob_parts
cl_parts
address
city
province
country

in the composer table:
family_name (avoid using "last_name", can create coinfusion to people entering some names from aisia)
given_name
composer b.
composer d.

you can create scripts to export/view the data or even calculation fields which compile the information formatted as you wish to see it, as long as the information is separated well:
wanker, bob the (*1932) - composition 45.8-b (1999, rev. 2002)

you can create portals which list info from related tables in rows, eg, in the composers table, a portal shows a list of compositions in your library.

jesus i could write for hours on this... but that should be enough to get you started. basically, it might seem like i am suggesting excessive amounts of fields etc for your needs, but believe me, as the thing grows it will be much easier to maintain if you set up an exhaustive DB with a clean interface. takes some time...

My orchestra needs to create a database for its small, but growing music library. Can someone give me some hints on how to do this, preferable on a Mac? I want something which is easy to maintain and where I can see how many string parts we have, perhaps also who borrows which part, etc.