Christopher Smith wrote:

On Aug 19, 2008, at 8:09 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:

But a flat file approach is guaranteed to produce far more problems
in the long run than are possible with a relational structure, unless
that, too, has been improperly designed.

David,

You seem to have a lot of experience here. Assuming I'm running a school music performance materials library of 500-700 pieces or so.

How would you suggest setting up the fields in a database (like Filemaker) for instrumentation? Most of the rest is clear to me (your points about composers and bios make a lot of sense.)

Would you say something like one field for instrumentation, and then fill that field with the actual instruments? Or with the name of the ensemble if it is a standard one? Or would you have a Piccolo field, with yes or no or a number of parts, then on to the Flute 1, etc.?

Or am I still thinking flat file? (our library is presently an Excel spreadsheet, and I tend to think that way!)

Our library contains concert band, jazz band, combo, and chamber music in various combinations. Obviously for it to be more useful than the present spreadsheet, it would have to be browseable by instrumentation. How would that work with slightly differing instrumentations (like a lot of concert band pieces?)

I'm not the David you're asking, but just to add another opinion, I'm always willing to chip in.

For instrumentation, I'd suggest three different fields and one set of fields built into each record. One would use a verbal description: Concert Band, Wind Ensemble, Brass Quintet, Full Orchestra, String Orchestra, String Quartet, etc. The second field would be instrumentation based on the standard orchestral instrumentation. I'm sure you could devise a similar instrumentation code for bands. The third field would include any non-standard instruments included in the ensemble. The set of fields built into each record would list all the standard instruments used in concert bands, wind ensembles and orchestras.

So people could do the preliminary search on the verbal field, then browse through the differing instrumentation lists.

Having a separate field for each type of instrument might prove helpful if you wanted to find all Concert Band works which include an English Horn part, but that will take a long time to get all the data entered, especially for those works which don't list the instrumentation on the outside of the score.

Those would be how I would do such a database, but I'm sure there are other more experienced suggestions coming along from others.

--
David H. Bailey