On Jun 14, 2009, at 6:26 PM, John Howell wrote:

At 5:45 PM -0400 6/14/09, Christopher Smith wrote:

Yes, same thing for marcatos, that have only ever been inverted V's OVER the staff until Finale made non-inverted (verted?) V's under the staff the norm when stems are up. I have no proof, but I think Finale invented that one.

Not so. Roemer gives accents and other articulations on the notehead side as the traditional method (p. 37), but recommends placing them all above the staff so they don't jump around (pp. 37-38), which I believe has become standard for a lot of jazz arrangers. But that suggests that the question goes back at least to '73 (the copyright date in my copy), and was not invented by Finale. The word "tuplet," on the other hand, ...

Oh yeah, there it is (page 30 in my copy). Also Stone says the same thing.

Where did I get the convention of keeping marcatos above the note, even if other articulations are below? I know I didn't invent it.

Christopher