On Wed, February 2, 2011 2:58 am, Gerhard Torges wrote:
>> They were done by a composer/engraver who is now
>> living as a monk and no longer uses technology.
>
> Now that's an interesting story!
> Where can I read more about that?

You can't; he's a very private person.

He wrote the Graphire documentation, and he and I co-authored the last
version. He was the earliest Graphire user (the first one after the author),
could do anything with the program, and drove the improvements from a
composer's point of view. The curved staff lines you see in the Graphire demo
pages were easy to make with Graphire; although I did them for a Christian
Wolff score in Finale, it was a real pain because Finale always got in its own
way.

To me, Graphire's menu system was way superior to Finale or Sibelius. You
always knew where you were, what behavior was in play, and all the settings
affecting the selected object or tool. (I presented a Finale version mock-up
several years ago on this list that elminated some 80% of the current dialog
boxes, but it wasn't met with much enthusiasm.)

I had always hoped Finale would buy the Graphire GUI and 'metrical engine'.
The programmer was a graphics designer as well as a musician, and he designed
that gorgeous Revere font (that I've adapted for my own Finale scores). Revere
had zero dimension embedded in the font metrics, and its placement was
controlled by the program. Very nice trick.

The site is still alive, and there's another guy acting as a middle-man for
the remaining users. I think there's still the hope someone will buy it and
overhaul it for modern Mac OSes (it still works fine on my Windows system).
Sold at a competitive price (say $100 a copy) it would really be a fine
addition to engravers' toolkits. I know the author was very concerned about
piracy, which is why his original version included a dongle -- you could buy a
very expensive unlimited version or a by-the-hour version. I think that fear
was the program's real downfall.

A number of Hollywood orchestrators would swear by Graphire for how quickly
they could get flawless parts out to musicians; the private discussion list is
still active.

Anyway, I didn't adapt well myself to how Graphire worked because I was a
Finale user for 8 years by the time I started trying Graphire; I rarely used
it for my own scores because it had no Midi output for doing demos.

Dennis


_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to