On 2 Feb 2011 at 12:16, Jari Williamsson wrote:

> On 2011-02-02 12:01, Steve Parker wrote:
> > I've always wondered why lines are so thin in Finale. I couldn't
> > imagine anyone using them without thickening them up. Staff lines,
> > ledger lines, note stems, bar lines, ..., ...
>
> For me it's printer-related. On one of my printers (both are 1200 DPI
> lasers) the defaults are perfect, on the other model they are way too
> thin.

My guess is that this is the source of the defaults, i.e., they were
created in an age in which 300dpi printing was the norm, and thinner
staff lines produced better output back then.

But I'm just guessing -- the point is that a lot of the things wrong
with Finale are entirely legacy issues that have simply not been
revisited recently.