Yeah, but I have learned to refrain from correcting the checkout clerks at the
grocery store when they call the stuff I buy En-dive, when I know perfectly
well, it's Ahn-deev.  So I have just memorized the numerical code and no longer
have to tell them, "No, it's not baby bok choy, it's Ahn-deev", and then watch
the confused look.  I try not to be insufferable in my use of language, but I
probably am.

Chuck

On Mar 26, 2011, at 10:49 AM, John Howell wrote:

> At 11:54 PM -0500 3/25/11, Aaron Rabushka wrote:
>> ...but it is sometimes neVAYduh, MO (with either mizzuREE or mizzurUH
>> trailing along)
>> Aaron J. Rabushka
>> arabus...@austin.rr.com
>
> Yes, distinctive regional pronunciations will always be with us. They always
> seem like distortions to outsiders (which in a way seems to be the whole
> point--separating "us" from "them"!).
>
> All my geography teachers--and almost all TV talking heads--pronounce the
> mountain range about which Copland wrote (or didn't!) as Ap-pa-lay-chan.  But
> the folks who actually live here in that mountain range pronounce it as
> Ap-pa-laa-chan (same vowel as the initial vowel).
>
> A nearby small town, Pulaski, is pronounced Pew-LAS-ki.
>
> And of course there's the famous Cairo, Illinois, whence the famous syrup,
> "Kay-ro."
>
> Americans, quite aside from the inevitable regional dialects, have a deserved
> reputation as terrible linguists, since the same language is spoken
> (admittedly in  different ways) across an entire continent. Unlike in Europe,
> where when you travel you have to switch languages every 3 hours!  But I
> can't see much of a reason to take PRIDE in mispronouncing words borrowed
> from other languages.
>
> John
>

> --
> John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
> Virginia Tech Department of Music
> College of Liberal Arts & Human Sciences
> Blacksburg, Virginia, U.S.A. 24061-0240
> Vox (540) 231-8411  Fax (540) 231-5034
> (mailto:john.how...@vt.edu)
> http://www.music.vt.edu/faculty/howell/howell.html
>
> "We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
> of jazz musicians.

Chuck Israels
1310 NW Naito Parkway #807
Portland, OR 97209-3162