I want to clarify when I said some anthems from the 80s that were
published with an open score with bass clef for tenors.  I said I
remember them as being easy to read, or something like that.

1) I am a terrible pianist.  I have certainly had plenty of years
experience hearing a conventional choral score in my head, but playing
it with my own two stupid hands (it IS my hands' fault, right?) is
another story.  These pieces were easier for me to play  - but see
point two for more reasons.

2) These pieces were easy and mellow, and had particularly low tenor
parts - like fourth line F up to middle C (bass clef, remember) - with
a lot of Gs on C and G chords (man, that sounds boring - but they were
pretty good). Which was good for my church choir at the time, which
had a couple of baritones shoring up the tenor section.  Would not be
good for my current choir, which has a good tenor section made up of
real tenors and a couple of women who never came to terms with their
head voice.

Raymond Horton
Bass Trombonist, Louisville Orchestra
Minister of Music, Edwardsville (IN) UMC
Composer, Arranger
VISIT US AT rayhortonmusic.com