On 16 Sep 2011 at 11:18, Patrick Sheehan wrote:

> To clarify, I do not have a problem in reading the Treble8 clef for
> tenors, I simply find it impractical.

That makes no sense -- it is by far the most practical clef FOR THE
TENORS (i.e., the musicians for whom the music is written, that is,
the ones who have to PERFORM IT). It may not be "practical" for an
accompanist, but it's not written for the accompanist.

>  News flash: We all have to deal
> with reading multiple ledger lines (pianists, flutists, violinists).
> Don't complain about ledger lines; learn to read them and be
> comfortable!  We don't have a staff that has 10 lines, only 5.

While I would not argue that tenors shouldn't be able to read leger
lines, I WOULD argue that it's ludicrous to insist that more leger
lines than necessary be used.

Get used to it -- the clef is not going away, because it's the best
compromise for the range involved.

[]

> It boils down to this - I just wish everything was standardized:

Free clue: treble clef 8 IS THE STANDARD.

You are the one who needs to get used to it.