From: "John Howell" <john.how...@vt.edu>
To: <finale@shsu.edu>
Sent: Saturday, September 17, 2011 1:38 PM
Subject: Re: [Finale] Tenor-singers Clefs Discussion wrapup

At 12:34 PM -0500 9/17/11, Steve Larsen wrote:

>My own practice is to use the 8va sign in scores when necessary, but to
>restore the part to its proper octave when extracting.

And that just makes good sense.  And save space
in the score, where things are more crowded
already.

Another pet peeve is engravers who switch viola
parts to treble clef for just a few notes, when
it's entirely unnecessary.  C'mon, folks, give us
a LITTLE credit for being able to read the music
written for our own instruments!  Don't obsess
over ledger lines if ledger lines are "normal"
for a given instrument.  There IS no "rule" for
how many ledger lines are acceptable, but there
is definitely an average that is different from
one instrument to another.

And at our last string rehearsal I found one
passage that sounded like garbage was actually an
engraver's error, where for about 4 bars he had
entered the notes as if in treble clef instead of
alto but hadn't marked a clef change.  It happens!

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"Machen Sie es, wie Sie wollen, machen Sie es nur schön."
(Do it as you like, just make it beautiful!)  --Johannes Brahms