Since the discussion has veered off into discussion of piccolos, octave
transpositions and ledger lines, I thought I'd share a nugget about piccolo
and flute writing. All those ledger lines are tough to read, at least for
the rest of us mortals who don't play flute or picc. But they're used to
reading them, and would rather see them than an 8va sign that brings
everything down into a "readable" octave. There are different fingerings for
notes in the upper stratosphere, and that octave transposition makes them
have to mentally "transpose".

My own practice is to use the 8va sign in scores when necessary, but to
restore the part to its proper octave when extracting.

Steve Larsen