I use it for dealing with wishy-washy clients in pieces with repeated  
material. I enter, say, a verse and a chorus, then mirror them  
through the piece. If, no WHEN, the client says, "This is wrong,  
every time it should be F and not G" I change it once and all the  
other iterations pick it up. I can always convert it if I need to  
(and I usually do.)

I haven't noticed any problems in the things I use it for, but I am  
not a power user of mirrors, by any means.

Christopher


On 15-Sep-12, at 15-Sep-12  8:29 AM, SN jef chippewa wrote:

>
>> Has the mirror tool ever not misbehaved?  It seems that it is the
>> least-discussed tool in Finale because nobody can get it to work
>> very well.
>
> i use it regularly :-) and it works fine for what i use it for.  for
> example, 14-12-10-8-6 individually notated strings in the piece i am
> working on.  usually there are only slight differences across the
> voices in the rhythm, microtonal inflections or pitches.  then
> suddenly a tutti for 2 measures, where i set up only the 1st vln I
> and mirror downwards.
>
> if any changes are needed to the articulations, stem/beam length or
> positioning etc., i edit once and the changes are reflected in the
> other voices.  kind of like linked parts inside the SC.  however, now
> that expressions are no longer note-attached, you have to update all
> voices to change a dynamic or technique text (ditto smart shapes).
>
> if you know the quirks it has it can still be a useful tool: copy
> smart shapes and expressions first, then mirror.  the other way
> around and the mirror erases the smart shapes and expressions.  which
> is, of course, very dumb.
>
> --
>
> the tool it has also helped me get around anothger problem in finale,
> that note-attached smart shapes ending on a stemless note (e.g. end
> of gliss) are not copied in a mass paste (support has it documented).
> i set up the 1st example *perfectly* (the key to successful use of
> the mirror tool) and mirror down, convert mirrors and transpose as
> needed.  this is much faster than copying with the stems and removing
> stems manually afterwards in all voices
>
> _______________________________________________
> Finale mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to