I use voices all the time, especially in the following situations:

1) Importing MIDI files that have divisis within tracks (MIDI import
doesn't support divisis in layers, only voices)
2) Entering drum set parts that have stems up/stems down notation on just
a beat or two in a measure, or if I want to keep everything in one layer
so that I can apply an alternate notation staff style and still hear
playback.
3) Situations where I want to have a divisi on just a beat or two in a
measure. This happens most frequently in orchestral string staves.
4) Stem up/stem down divisis where the rests are in common but the notes
are different (only in versions prior to Finale 2014, which is the first
version that lines up common rests between different layers)

I haven't had any problems at all with entering, editing or deleting music
in different voices, and I've become rather adept with the apostrophe key
in Speedy Entry. There's a little indicator in the corner of the Speedy
frame that tells you exactly the voice in which you are working, so it's
quite easy to use.

Another cool thing about voices is that you can control the vertical
position of rests entered in voice 2 with the cursor position when you
enter them.

-Brian Williams