At 3:39 PM +0200 2002/04/10, Max Horn wrote:
>First off, I'd like to keep the discussion regarding a Fink CD
>completly free of mentioning OpenOSX. I don't feel such a CD should
>be made to spite anybody, but if at all for it's own good. Anyway,
>here are some quick thought of mine on this:
>

>1) It will be very helpful to anybody with a not so fast connection;
>to people that want to use an install CD to quickly install this
>stuff on my machines; for people that want to have a local "Fink
>server", so to say, where machines behind a restrictive firewall can
>download stuff; etc. I definitly see a use in it.
>
>2) There is a lot of stuff in Fink. I guess we'll have to make at
>least two CDs, one full with source, one with binaries. Ideally,
>both would contain a mini Fink installer that allows you to
>bootstrap Fink; the binary CD(s) should be usable on any Fink
>system, i.e. you plug the CD in, and Fink can get packges from it;
>and the source CD(s) likewise, i.e. it should be possible to get
>sources from it transparently.

Max,

        I like the idea of making it easy to produce a local fink
repository, separate from the installer and marketing issue.

        Perhaps we should start with making it easy for an admin to
build a local repo, for network and/or CD installs. Should we start
by suggesting "fink fetch-all", and does anyone feel like writing
"fink build-all", for all known packages (or those already fetched,
so users have somewhat finer control)? Can we generalize & simplify
the process you use for the binary distro, both to make the next
version easier on you, and to make it easier for others to roll their
own?

        It seems if we made it easier for users with a fast
connection (including ourselves) to get complete and current sets of
.info/.patch files, source tarballs, and .debs, we'd make it easier
for others to build (and customize, if desired) their own fink
distributions, either by putting them on a local file server, or
burning their own CDs. This is useful even without a GUI, GUI
installer, and logo.

        Then some fool^H^H^H^Hfine volunteer can build .iso images
with the source & binary installers, and we have the essential tools
for CLI users. This paves the way for a GUI installer, should we
decide to go down that road. If and when we get near that milestone,
we can decide whether we're ready to charge for anything (or, indeed,
anyone can decide they want to sell fink, without a consensus,
hopefully with proper credit).

        FWIW, I use Yellow Dog Linux, and agree there's an obvious
similarity between our source and theirs, but my experiences with
them and their idea of customer service have been very depressing.

        More interesting to me would be Daemon News, a BSD shop that
already sells Darwin & GNU-Linux CDs
<http://www.daemonnewsmall.com/darwin141.html>,
<http://www.linuxiso.org/>, which someone mentioned, has FreeBSD &
NetBSD.