Thanks to Sergey, I'm back!

It appeared that my public key had not changed, however, my private key
had gone awol and was no longer to be found in ~/.ssh.

I looked in my backups and it wasn't there either. :-(

I created a new key pair and once Sergey had loaded my public one onto
the server (cms.firebirdsql.org) I was able to login as www-data. Mind
you, after logging in, it looks different to what it was before, but I
can find my way around etc, so no problems.

Now to sort out why rsync doesn't want to backup by private key.

Thanks all.

Cheers,
Norm.

--