Dear Stan,

"Us" looking at the moon, is not a sufficient condition for the emergence of
order. Woolfs may also look at the moon, but no order emerges; only the
routine of howling can be expected to emerge. Order emerges only if our
observational reports can be brought and interact in a discourse. Discursive
knowledge constructs its own order.

Best wishes,

Loet

Loet Leydesdorff
Amsterdam School of Communications Research (ASCoR),
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam.
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ; http://www.leydesdorff.net/