Dear All,

In agreeing with Bob, I would like to point out that his critique is not
"theoretical philosophy". He is calling attention to something essential
missing in the pictures and models of Stan and Karl, namely, 1) the "life
and blood" of the world; 2) that that "life and blood" follows different
rules than the entities in the models; 3) those rules are based on real
dualities of equal ontological purport: order and disorder, continuity and
discontinuity, entropy and negentropy; etc.; and 4) these dualities play
out in real interactions in biology, cognition and society, for example
in information and non-information.

It is perfectly possible to see "grids" of numbers and levels or hierarchies
in Nature as abstract structures - this is indeed Karl's word, as is his use
of "independence" - but this is not going toward the world, but away from
it. The world includes Karls and Stans and Josephs and Bobs, and I challenge
anyone to propose a theory that insures that our "antagonisms", which are
real, also receive some logical treatment.

I for one do not know everything  about everything I'm made of (cf. our
fluctuon discussion), but I have the feeling it is not abstractions or
sequences of numbers. I mentioned string theory, but I am by no
means pushing it as the full story.

Cheers,

Joseph