A series of responses to recent posts of James, Gavin, Steven, Stan, Pedro,
zyx, Joe, and koichiro.
FIS response March 14, 2011

v547. ? Gavin:

writes:

"Modern chemistry fell out of alchemy."

As far as I am aware, modern chemistry developed its own semantics, grammar and
logical symbol system virtually independent of alchemy. The authors were
Priestly, Lavoisier, Dalton, Volta, Bezerlious, and others, mainly in the late
17 th and early 18 th Century. The ostensive and demonstrative basis of alchemy
was re-interpreted in terms of the properties of invisible and indivisible
gases. From these origins, the alchemical ostensions were re-symbolized to
become mathematical extensions of identity, volume, weight of.. , and other
properties. These observations became the basis of the "ideal gas laws" and
later, thermodynamics and eventually, quantum mechanics.

Gavin continues:
"Language still doesn’t have a good definition (or even what it may be). And we
build our entire knowledge system on it."

I disagree.
The knowledge systems of science are based on observations and the
correspondence relations between measurements and mathematical calculations.
I recently published a long discussion of these relations under the title of
"Algebraic Biology" in Roberto Poli's journal, Axiomathes.

Gavin continues:
Language has only three types of logic
Declarative statements (like the one below) be either True or False
Imperative statements (commands) can be structure or process.
Interrogative Statements (questions), can be yes or no, and True or false

To me, this assertion is simply false.
Numerous logics are studied.
Particularly interesting is the recent development of 'para-consistent" logics.
For the past decade, I have been constructing a logic for the chemical sciences
and medicine, closely related to some of the ideas of C S Peirce and category
theory. It is called synductive logic and is classified as an inductive logic
operating on labelled bipartite graphs. The grammar of this logic is an
abstraction from the calculus of chemistry and electricity.

Gavin continues:
Is Mathematical Category Theory and Topoi Logic together the foundation of all
Reality?

My simplistic view of mathematics is that reality is vastly more perplex than
anything to do with mathematics.
The great beauty and power of mathematics emerges from those rare cases where
the mathematical symbol systems can be shown to be in correspondence with
nature.

v. 547.5 by James Hannam:

First, let us clear up a deep mis-understanding.
My usage of the term calculus is in the traditional sense of "to calculate".
That is, exact logic that is reproducible by others. Newtonian calculations are
a sub-set of the more general term. The term comes from Latin, meaning a small
pebble, referring to the use of an abacus.

Jim, you write:

"So, while I can clearly see you disagree with me, I am afraid that I do not
really follow why."

I provided you with a short summary of the basic ideas of modern science -
roughly thirty concepts that were developed in Aristotle's writings roughly
2300 years ago.  The extension of each of these concepts from Aristotle to
today is a study of the history of a critical term of modern science.

It is the sort of study of the history of science that I wish you had done
before you boldly asserted your "contentious postulate."

If you elect to undertake such a multi-year study, then you may find that
modern science, much like modern mathematics, is a tightly interwoven network
of both semantic and syntactical terms, glued together with mathematics and
arcane beliefs about nature. The level of coherence within this network of
terms is robust.

v547.6  Joe Brenner writes:

"It would be most interesting if synergies were to appear. For example, how
might the logic of situations be related to the dynamic logic of processes of
Logic in Reality, etc.?"

Joe, your messages remain outside the scope of my comprehension.
May I request that you give the list three or four concrete scientific examples
of your "Logic of Reality"?
In particular, is your usage of the term "reality" either ostensive or
demonstrable?
I am of the persuasion that "A rose by any other name is a rose"
or, in this case, phenomenology by any other name is phenomenology.   :-) :-)
:-)

v547.7 Stan

Your conceptualization of the concept of properties as a way of knowing appears
to be grossly deficient with respect to the chemical sciences. Metaphorically
consistent with category theory, the chemical way of knowing emerges from the
commutativity of the grammar of chemistry as derived from Dalton's "ratio of
small whole numbers."

The critical notion is the the commutativity among the nominative case, the
properties as "universals" and the arrangement of parts of the whole. This
commutativity creates a mathematical and logical intimacy among ostension,
extension and intention. (While this a triadic argument, it differs
substantially from the icon / index / symbol triadicity of C S Peirce.)

Your writings appear to me to be a personal metaphysics which cannot support
this intimacy of commutativity and therefore your are left to reject the role
of properties in the study of nature.

Or, do I mis-read the intent of your communication and metaphysics?

v.547.8  Steven writes:

"However, that does not avoid the fact that the universe is profoundly
uniform and it is that uniformity upon which we rely."

I disagree.
for reasoning see comment to v547.12

v547.9 Pedro

"At the stake are the limitations of the cognizing individual: the auxiliary
"memories" that have been central along the knowledge accumulation enterprise:
numbers, writing, tablets & papyri, codices, printed books, computers...
without them, no knowledge accumulation possibilities."

Is it your intent to submerge the role of human sign readings and other
non-verbal and non-symbolic forms of knowing?
Would it be your intent to submerge the knowledge within life itself (for
example, the encoding of genetic cycles) to the mere grammar of sentences?

v547.10 Y. X. Zhong

The thought of extension from information to knowledge to wisdom is comforting
within the concepts of frames. Can this extension of semantics be made
realizable in various symbol systems used to send messages among individuals?

v547.11 Koichiro

The events of the past few days in your homeland remind us of the role of man
within nature.

My confidence in the enduring and endearing activities of Japanese culture
remains strong.

Personally, I wish you and your family fair winds and smooth seas as your
country sails through these troubled times.