Dear FISers,

Thanks to Loet for his modest proposal "Foundations of the Science of (DIS) Order"... (when managing the list I really agree!).

The comments by Jerry are much appreciated, indeed: I am eagerly waiting for opinions and criticisms on the "knowledge recombination" theme. However, criticisms obliged, his whole approach to science and knowledge looks to me very interesting though rather biased. Rhetorically, for our foundations of info & knowledge we cannot rely on particular philosophical positions (Peircean philosophy---sorry to disagree with John too) but on scientific-disciplinary "facts" or theories. When Jerry talks about "new interpretations of signs from nature" he is cavalierly forgetting the action side, the practice: "In the beginning was the deed!" (Faustian motto emphasized by neuroscientist Alain Berthoz in his "The Brain's Sense of Movement", 2000---- the "fact" and not the "concept"). In neuroscience, in ecological psychology & the motor approach to consciousness, the perceptual cycle of action-perception cannot be reduced to any of the two branches alone. In cognitive terms, theory has always to accompany practice, and viceversa. Methologies, measurements, etc., are a crucial ingredient of knowledge, that refer to our own actions ---not just to "signs" of nature.

Is "recombination" a narrow window of social-cognitive dynamics? Not at all. I am planning a contribution to the GIT 2010 conference in Varna, more or less entitled: "Cognizing Commonalities in Cells, Nervous Systems and Societies: The Knowledge Recombination Phenomenon". I will quote from Brian Arthur (2009), in his recent (and new) approach to Technology, so germane of Science: "Conventional thinking ascribes the invention of technologies to "thinking outside the box," or vaguely to genius or creativity, but this book shows that such explanations are inadequate. Rather, technologies are put together from pieces — themselves technologies — that already exist. Technologies therefore share common ancestries and combine, morph, and combine again to create further technologies. Technology evolves much as a coral reef builds itself from activities of small organisms — it creates itself from itself; all technologies are descended from earlier technologies..."

Mutatis mutandis, this would apply to science as well.

Please, opinions and criticisms are very welcome!

---Pedro

Jerry LR Chandler:
V547.13 (Pedro)

Pedro makes a valuable contribution to the discussion in this post by seeking to place our present situation in a wider historical context. All such efforts are to be applauded, IMHO.

The creation of new knowledge is, I believe, rather different than painted by the simple notion of "recombination" invoked from the hypothesis of Scott. Without doubt, many little steps of progress are simple recombinants of parts within wholes. Combinatorics is a rich branch of mathematics that offers unbounded potential for constructing new wholes from an assortment of parts. But, in the semantic domain, the question of whether a particular new sentence is actually a progressive step or is merely a re-arrangement of pre-existing knowledge is a difficult and often questionable decision because of the large open neighborhood of interpretation about non-numerical terms. The premier example of this is the discourse in philosophy where arguments are iterated over centuries, century after century, with little if any basic difference in meaning or ostension. The principle basis of construction of new knowledge is, I suggest, new interpretations of signs from nature. It is the construction of new methods of communicating knowledge that generates the rich informative structures of modern communication. The development of new sign systems, new logical and ostensive terms, is a slow process that evolves over decades and centuries. Prime examples of this are the sign systems for mathematics, for music, for chemistry, and for electricity. In particular, in the past two hundred years, the sign systems for chemistry (Dalton, Lavoisier, Berzelious) and for electricity (Coulomb, Volta, Kirchoff) have led to networks of quantitative relations of knowledge systems. I would hasten to add that both of these sciences arose from the synthesis of the Western European tongues with the classical Latin of Rome and equally important the genesis of new ostensive terms founded in Greek. Of course, the crisp logic of mathematical sign systems was essential to distinguishing the mere internal mental images of belief from the demonstrative signs systems of electricity and chemistry and genetics. In short, the creation of new knowledge is an active process of interpreting signs from nature in coherent numerical contexts. The history of human symbolic communication as a record of thought, started with the number system of the Sumerians and continues to develop, after 5000 years, with the construction of new signs and symbol systems. The works of C S Peirce continue to provide guidance in straddling the abyss.

Pedro C. Marijuán
Avda. Gómez Laguna, 25, Pl. 11ª
50009 Zaragoza, Spain
Telf: 34 976 71 3526 (& 6818) Fax: 34 976 71 5554
pcmarijuan.i...@aragon.es