Dear all - I support Joseph's remarks and would suggest that information in
general is a process that unfortunately is formulated as a noun. Inspired by
Bucky Fuller's I think I am a verb I suggest that "Information is a verb" It is
a verb because it describes a process. Although that solves one problem we need
to be able to describe a set of signs that have the potential to initiate the
process of informing through interpretation. I would not suggest we create
another word but recognize that the word information has many meanings and that
when it is describing a process it has a verb-like quality to it and when it
describes a set of sign that have the potential to be interpreted and hence
become information it is acting as a noun. I would also suggest that a simple
definition of the term information is not possible because its meaning is so
context dependent. This is true of all words but even more so for information.
For those that agree with my sentiments the above is information and for those
that do not it is nonsense. My best wishes to both groups,  Bob Logan

Robert K. Logan
Prof. Emeritus - Physics - U. of Toronto
Chief Scientist - sLab at OCAD
http://utoronto.academia.edu/RobertKLogan
www.physics.utoronto.ca/Members/logan
www.researchgate.net/profile/Robert_Logan5/publications