In a message dated 9/11/2015 8:15:48 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
pcmarijuan.i...@aragon.es writes:

Dear Steven and FIS colleagues,

Many thanks for this opening  text. What you are proposing about a pretty
structured discussion looks a  good idea, although it will have to
confront the usually anarchic  discussion style of FIS list! Two aspects
of your initial text have caught  my attention (apart from those videos
you recommend that I will watch along  the weekend).

First about the concerns of a generation earlier  (Shannon, Turing...)
situating information in the intersection between  physical science and
engineering. The towering influence of this line of  thought, both with
positive and negative overtones, cannot be  overestimated. Most attempts
to enlarge informational thought and to extend  it to life, economies,
societies, etc. continue to be but a reformulation  of the former ideas
with little added value. See one of the last creatures:  "Why Information
Grows: The Evolution of Order, from Atoms to Economies"  (2015), by Cesar
Hidalgo (prof. at MIT).

In my opinion, the  extension of those classic ideas to life are very
fertile from the  technological point of view, from the "theory of
molecular machines" for  DNA-RNA-protein matching to genomic-proteomic
and other omics'  "big  data". But all that technobrilliance does not
open per se new avenues in  order to produce innovative thought about the
information stuff of human  societies. Alternatively we may think that
the accelerated digitalization  of our world and the cyborg-symbiosis of
human information and computer  information do not demand much brain
teasing, as it is a matter that social  evolution is superseding by itself.

The point I have ocasionally raised  in this list is whether all the new
molecular knowledge about life might  teach us about a fundamental
difference in the "way of being in the world"  between life and inert
matter (& mechanism & computation)---or not.  In the recent compilation
by Plamen and colleagues from the former INBIOSA  initiative,  I have
argued about that fundamental difference in the  intertwining of
communication/self-production, how signaling is strictly  caught in the
advancement of a life cycle  (see paper "How the living  is in the
world"). Life is based on an inusitate informational formula  unknown in
inert matter. And the very organization of life provides an  original
starting point to think anew about information --of course, not  the only
one.

So, to conclude this "tangent", I find quite exciting  the discussion we
are starting now, say from the classical info positions  onwards, in
particularly to be compared in some future with another session  (in
preparation) with similar ambition but starting from say  the
phenomenology of the living. Struggling for  a
convergence/complementarity of outcomes would be a cavalier  effort.

All the best--Pedro

Steven Ericsson-Zenith  wrote:
> ...The subject is one that has concerned me ever since I  completed my
PhD in 1992. I came away from defending my thesis, essentially on  large scale
parallel computation, with the strong intuition that I had  disclosed much
more concerning the little that we know, than I had offered  either a
theoretical or engineering solution.

> For the  curious, a digital copy of this thesis can be found among the
reports of CRI,  MINES ParisTech, formerly ENSMP,
http://www.cri.ensmp.fr/classement/doc/A-232.pdf, it is also available as a
paper copy on Amazon.

> Like many that have been involved in  microprocessor and instruction
set/language design, using mathematical  methods, we share the physical
concerns
of a generation earlier, people like  John Von Neumann, Alan Turing, and
Claude Shannon. In other words, a close  intersection between physical science
and machine engineering.

>  ...I will then discuss some historical issues in particular referencing
Benjamin Peirce, Albert Einstein and Alan Turing. And finally discuss the
contemporary issues, as I see them, in biophysics, biology, and associated
disciplines, reaching into human and other social constructions, perhaps
touching on cosmology and the extended role of information theory in
mathematical physics...

Pedro  C. Marijuán
Instituto  Aragonés de Ciencias de la Salud
Centro de Investigación Biomédica de  Aragón (CIBA)
Avda. San Juan Bosco, 13, planta X
50009 Zaragoza,  Spain
Tfno. +34 976 71 3526 (&  6818)
pcmarijuan.i...@aragon.es

____________
Howard Bloom
Author of: The Lucifer  Principle: A Scientific Expedition Into the Forces
of History  ("mesmerizing"-The Washington Post),
Global Brain: The Evolution  of Mass Mind From The Big Bang to the 21st
Century ("reassuring and  sobering"-The New Yorker),
The Genius of the Beast: A Radical  Re-Vision of Capitalism ("A
tremendously enjoyable book." James Fallows,  National Correspondent, The
Atlantic),
The God Problem: How A  Godless Cosmos Creates ("Bloom's argument will rock
your world." Barbara  Ehrenreich),
How I Accidentally Started the Sixties ("Wow! Whew!  Wild!
Wonderful!" Timothy Leary), and
The Mohammed Code ("A  terrifying book…the best book I've read on Islam."
David Swindle, PJ  Media).
www.howardbloom.net
Former Core Faculty Member, The Graduate  Institute; Former Visiting
Scholar-Graduate Psychology Department, New York  University.
Founder: International Paleopsychology Project; Founder, Space  Development
Steering Committee; Founder: The Group Selection Squad; Founding  Board
Member: Epic of Evolution Society; Founding Board Member, The Darwin  Project;
Founder: The Big Bang Tango Media Lab; member: New York Academy of
Sciences, American Association for the Advancement of Science, American
Psychological Society, Academy of Political Science, Human Behavior and
Evolution
Society, International Society for Human Ethology, Scientific  Advisory Board
Member, Lifeboat Foundation; Editorial Board Member, Journal of  Space
Philosophy; Board member and member of Board of Governors, National  Space
Society.