18 sep. 2017 kl. 18:25 skrev Terrence W. DEACON
<dea...@berkeley.edu<mailto:dea...@berkeley.edu>>:

All of these claims and counter-claims are null hypotheses - hypothetical
axioms yet to be tested, both for logical coherence and empirical usefulness.
Place your bets. Mine are on contrary assumptions: i.e. non-Turing
computability, fundamental incompleteness, and a deep entanglement between
information (including reference and functional value) and its necessary
physical substrates. Of course for this to be science all need to eventually
yield testable hypotheses. This level of controversy over basic issues
indicates to me that the science of information is still at an early stage and
could be potentially held back by the hubris of certainty.
I fundamentally agree with Terry; the discussion is about concepts and their
use, not about real things. In order to move on to testable empirical
consequences one need to tell how to measure a proposed quantity. And if we
disagree about how to measure e.g. information, we talk about different
quantities while using the same word. The only way to establish that
information as measured in two different ways really is the same quantity is to
prove that these measurements without exception will yield the same output.
Lars-Göran

— Terry

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 2:07 AM, Bruno Marchal