All of these claims and counter-claims are null hypotheses - hypothetical
axioms yet to be tested, both for logical coherence and empirical
usefulness. Place your bets. Mine are on contrary assumptions: i.e.
non-Turing computability, fundamental incompleteness, and a deep
entanglement between information (including reference and functional value)
and its necessary physical substrates. Of course for this to be science all
need to eventually yield testable hypotheses. This level of controversy
over basic issues indicates to me that the science of information is still
at an early stage and could be potentially held back by the hubris of
certainty.

— Terry

Professor Terrence W. Deacon
University of California, Berkeley