Dear Emanuel,

The two types are sometimes also called "Shannon-type" versus "Bateson-type" information.

In Chinese, there are two words for "information".

Both words contain two char­acters as depicted in Figure 13.1. The above one, ‘sjin sji’, corresponds to the mathe­matical definition of informa­tion as uncertainty.[1] <#_ftn1> The sec­ond, ‘tsjin bao,’ means infor­mation but also intelligence.[2] <#_ftn2> In other words, it means infor­mation which informs us, and which is thus considered meaningful.

<#_ftnref1> [1] ‘sjin’ means letter of reliability, and ‘sji’ means message.

<#_ftnref2> [2] ‘tsjin’ means situation or status, and ‘bao’ means report.

Wu Yishan (personal communication)

From: Leydesdorff, L. (1995). The Challenge of Scientometrics: The development, measurement, and self-organization of scientific communications. Leiden: DSWO Press, Leiden University; at http://www.universal-publishers.com/book.php?method=ISBN&book=1581126816, p. 295.

Best,
Loet

Loet Leydesdorff

Professor emeritus, University of Amsterdam
Amsterdam School of Communication Research (ASCoR)

l...@leydesdorff.net <mailto:l...@leydesdorff.net>; http://www.leydesdorff.net/ Associate Faculty, SPRU, <http://www.sussex.ac.uk/spru/>University of Sussex;

Guest Professor Zhejiang Univ. <http://www.zju.edu.cn/english/>, Hangzhou; Visiting Professor, ISTIC, <http://www.istic.ac.cn/Eng/brief_en.html>Beijing;

Visiting Fellow, Birkbeck <http://www.bbk.ac.uk/>, University of London;

http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=ych9gNYAAAAJ&hl=en