Hi Emmanuel and FISers,

Thank you, Emmanuel, for your generous remarks.  It is heartening to know that
our ideas converge, although we carried out our research independently of each
other, a clear example of consilience.

(1)  I like and agree with the Kolomogorov quote you cited in [1]:

"Information is a linguistic description of structures in a given data set."

It seems to me that there are 4 key concepts embedded in the above quote, which
we may view as the definition of what may be called the "Komogorov information"
or the "Kolmogorov-Bateson information" for  the convenience of reference:

i)   data set (e.g., ACAGTCAACGGTCCAA)
ii)  linguistic description (e.g., Threonine, Valine, Asparagine, Glycine)
iii) structure (e.g., 16 mononucdotide, 8 dinucldotides, 5 trinucleotides plus
1)
iv) mathematical description (e.g., tensor product of two 2x2 matrices of 4
nucleotides) [2, 3].

The first three elements are obvious, but the 4th is not so obvious but
justified in view of the recent work of Petoukhov [2, 3].

(2) Based on these ideas, I have constructed Table 1 below of the various names
applied to the two kinds of information which I described as I(-) and I(+) in
my previous post.

Table 1.  The arbitrariness of the signs referring to ‘information’. It doesn’t
matter what you call it, as long as your chosen label refers to the right
reality, thing, process, mechanisms, etc.

1

Type I Information

Type II information

2

Physical Information

Sematic information

3

Shannon information

Kolmogorov information, or
Kolmogorov-Bateson information

4

‘Meaningless’ information

‘Meaningful’ information

5

I(-) information, or simply I(-)

I(+) information, or simply I(+)

6

Quantitative information

Qualitative information

7

Mathematical information

Linguistic information (see Statement (1))

8

Formal information

Phenomenological information

9

Interpretant-less sign [4]

Triadic sign [4]

(3)  One practical application of the dual theory of information under
discussion is in deducing the structure of cell language, or the structure of
the linguistics of DNA, in a much more rigorous manner than was possible in
1997 [5].
   It is the common practice in biology to use the terms "letters", "words",
"sentences", and "texts" without any rigorous definitions.  The general rule is
to follow the rules of concatenations used in linguistics literally and say that

i) just as 26 letters in the English alphabet are combined to form words (the
process being called the second articulation [5]), so the 4 letters of the
genetic alphabets, A, C, G and T/U,  combine in triplets to form genetic
codons.  Similarly, just as words form sentences and sentences form texts by
the same concatenation procedure (or tensor multiplication, mathematically
speaking , i.e, linearly arranging words and sentences, respectively (see the
second column in Table 2), so the 64 nucleotide triplets combine to form
proteins and proteins combine to form metabolic pathways by continuing the
concatenation process, or the tensor multiplication of matrices of larger and
larger sizes (see the fourth column, which is based on the physical theory of
information, i.e., without any involvement of semantics or the first
articulation).

ii)   In contrast to the fourth column just described, we can justify an
alternative structural assignments based on the semantic theory of information
as shown in the fifth column of Table 2.  Here the letters of the cell language
alphabet are not always mononucloetoides but thought to be n-nucleotides, such
as dinucleotides (when n = 2), trinucleotides (when n =3), tetranucleotides
(when n = 4), penta-nucelotides (when n = 5), etc.  That is, unlike in human
language where the letters of an alphabet usually consist of one symbol, e.g.,
A, B, C, D, E, . . . , I am claiming that in cell language, the letters can be
mononucloetides (i.e., A, G, C, T/U), dinucloeotides (i.e., AG, AC, . . . .) ,
trinucleotides (i.e., ACT, GTA,  . . . ), tetranucleotides (i.e., ACTG, CCGT, .
. . .), pentanucleotides (i.e., ACCTG, TCGAT, . . .) and, up to n-nucleotides
(also called n-plets [2, 3]), where n is an unknown number whose upper limit is
not yet known (at least to me).  If this conjecture turns out to be true, then
the size of the cell language alphabet can be much larger (10^3 - 10^9 ?) than
the size of a typical human linguistic alphabet which is usually less than
10^2, probably due to the limitation of the memory capacity of the human brain.

(iii) From linguistics, we learn that there are at least 4 levels of
organization, each level characterized by a unique function (see the second
column).  Without presenting any detailed argument, I just wish to suggest that
the linguistic structures deduced based on the semantic information theory
(i.e., the fifth column) agree with the human linguistic structures (i.e., the
second column) better than does the linguistic structures based on the
physical/mathematical/quantitative information theory (i.e., the fourth
column), when the functional hierarchy given in the third column is taken into
account.

Table 2.  Two versions of the linguistics of DNA based on (i) the physical
information theory, and (ii) the semantic information theory [1]. M stands for
a 2x2 matrix whose elements are the 4 genetic nucleotides, A, C, G and T/U,
i.e., M = [C A; T G] (see Figure 16 in [2]). The symbol, (x), indicates tensor
multiplication [2, 3].  The I to II transition is known in linguistics as the
second articulation; the II to III transition as the first articulation [4];
the III to IV transition was referred to as the third articulation [5].

Organization  level

Human Language

Cell Language

Structure

Function/Semantics

Structure based on the Physical Information Theory (PIT) [1]

Structure based on the Semantic Information Theory (SIT) [1]

Letters

Basic building
blocks or basic physical signals

4 Nucleotides (A, C, G, T/U);
M = [C A;T G]*

mono-, di-, trinucleotides, 4-plets, 5-plets, . . . , n-plets of nucleotides,
. . .

II

Words

To denote

16 dinucleotides;
M(x)M or M^2

Any combinations of the n-plets/ genes/proteins

III

Sentences

To decide

64 trinucleotides /amino acids;
M(x)M(x)M or M^3

Assembly of  genes/proteins; or metabolic pathways (MP)

IV

Texts

To argue/compute/
reason (e.g., syllogism)

254 tetranucleotides;
Metabolic pathways (?); M(x)M(x)M(x)M or M^4

Networks of MP’s

characterized by a unique function (see the second column).  Without presenting
any detailed argument, I would like to suggest that the linguistic structures
deduced based on the semantic information theory (i.e., the fifth column) agree
with the human linguistic structures (i.e., the second column) better than does
the linguistic structures based on the physical/mathematical/quantitative
information theory (i.e., the fourth column).
In other words, the structure of cell language deduced based on the semantic
information theory agrees better, functionally, with that of the human language
than the structure of cell language deduced based on the physical information
theory, thus further supporting the 1997 postulate that cell and human
languages are isomorphic [5, 6].

If you have any questions or suggestions for improvements on the above tables,
I would appreciate hearing from you.

All the best.

Sung

anybody care?, ISIS Summit Vienna 2015, Extended Abstract.
http://sciforum.net/conference/isis-summit-vienna-2015/paper/2842<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsciforum.net%2Fconference%2Fisis-summit-vienna-2015%2Fpaper%2F2842&data=02%7C01%7Csji%40pharmacy.rutgers.edu%7C89f81861ee684f05e46b08d559d86fe1%7Cb92d2b234d35447093ff69aca6632ffe%7C1%7C1%7C636513708497810284&sdata=bMlZ324OoEHA5XMQibKiEFsm75NhcpkfIcSRUJbQZNg%3D&reserved=0>
  [2] Petoukhov, S. (2017).  Genetic coding and united-hypercomplex systems in
the models of algebraic biology. BioSystems 158: 31-46.
  [3] Petoukhov, S. (2016).  The system-resonance approach in modeling genetic
structures. BiosySystems 139:1-11.
   [4] Ji, S. (2017).Neo-Semiotics: Introducing Zeroness into Peircean
Semiotics May Bridge the Knowable and the Unknowable. Prog. Biophys. Mol. Biol.
 131:387-401. PDF at
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0079610717300858?via%3Dihub
   [5] Ji, S. (1997). Isomorphism between cell and human languages: molecualr
biological, bioinformatic and linguistic implications.
<http://www.conformon.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Isomorphism1.pdf>
BioSystems 44:17-39.  PDF at
http://www.conformon.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Isomorphism1.pdf

    [6] Ji, S. (2017).  The Cell Language Theory: Connecting Mind and Matter.
World Scientific, New Jersey.  Chapter 5.