This sounds to me like what happens if you embed a certain set of characters
in the field but then pass it a String including characters you haven't
explicitly embedded. I'm guessing you may have pasted a string into the
"Include these characters:" field in the "Character Embedding" window? If
so, only those characters will be embedded with the field and you'd probably
be better off just selecting Basic Latin in the predefined character sets.

HTH
A.