I'm struggling with this now, albeit at a lower level.

I am confident in my skills and my abilities, especially my ability to
pick things up quickly. I know I'm above average, but, in interviews,
people always want to see something very specific. "Let me see an
example of this exact thing in your portfolio." Well, I'm sorry, my
portfolio is full of things I did to put food on the table, not to
meet the specific demands of some interview I have not been on yet. If
they'd look at my portfolio, they'd see than I was able to do a lot of
very varied things and one could assume that a lot of it required
solid problem solving skills that are very adaptable.

Part of the problem is the people who write the job descriptions are
still not realistic - expert in Maya, ASP, Java, Final Cut Pro Flash
Actionscript and some arcane CRM I've never heard of. I just don't
think there are many people who are experts in such diverse things. I
can work all of the design software, and am so-so at some code stuff.
I can do HTML, CSS, Coldfusion, mySQL. I can hack PHP scripts. I'm
never going to learn Java or ASP.

Another part of the problem, with corporate stuff anyhow, is being too
far removed from the real job. You have to go through a recruiter and
then through the corporation and it's like you never really get to the
people you'd be working with. I guess design firms and agencies are
not like this, but still...

Superstars are just few and far between, and since they can write
their own ticket, they are seldom seen.

I agree with the comment about geography free skill based teams being the way.

Get people who are experts in the various skills, and manage them.

Can't do Java? No problem, we'll get one of our Java people to do it.

--
count_schemula