Head First Design Patterns is very easy to pick up. No typos, lots and lots of pictures, illustrations and code examples.
http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596007126/?CMP=AFC-ak_book&ATT=Head+First+Design+Patterns

http://www.headfirstlabs.com/books/hfdp/ for a quick overview and a typical illustration

http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596007126/toc.pdf Read the section on the Observer Pattern. It might be what you are looking for.

Merrill, Jason wrote:
I think just a quick answer to your questions which may help a lot is to check
into understanding MVC - the Model-View-Controller design pattern.  Probably
one of the most common pattern used and one that other coding design frameworks
use as well for part of their operations.

So there are also frameworks like Cairngorm which takes MVC and other patterns
together and go a lot further, it has things like Commands to facilitate
communication.  But simple MVC using event listeners and dispatchers is
probably the best place to start to get what you want to do going.

Jason Merrill
Bank of America     Instructional Technology & Media   ยท   GCIB & Staff Support
L&LD

Interested in Flash Platform technologies? Join the Bank of America Flash Platform Developer Community Interested in innovative ideas in Learning? Check out the Innovative Learning Blog and subscribe.