Hey Pedro,

i think with as3 the remark that OOP is only for big projects is not
strictly true anymore (and it wasn't with as2 either). The thing is though
that as3 forces your hand more than as2 did, it terms that every movieclip
can be a class as well etc, so if you create one clip in the library that
you want to add to the stage using as3, you're already OOP-ing.
I think it would be better to say that employing complex design patterns and
a rocksolid OOP architecture is more suited to big projects than to small
projects. And with small I then mean small projects that are going to stay
small.

The reason is mostly that employing a solid architecture and design patterns
might require a lot of work up front, which will pay itself back as the
project gets bigger and bigger. If your project stays small it's easier to
manage your hacks and shortcuts.

That isn't to say that you shouldnt design upfront or use design patterns in
small projects, only that you must take care that the architecture and
designpatterns don't become an end onto itself, they are a means to an end.

For pluses and minuses, just a few I advise you to pick up as 3 design
patterns, it's an easy read.
Pluses:
- common vocabulary makes communicating about your projects to other easier
- time proven solutions prevent you from reinventing the wheel

Minuses:
- may make your application overly complex without good reasons to do so

I saw an example once of a hello world application as a joke, which they
refactored, ending up with a lot of classes and designs pattern, for just a
hello world application. Like I said it was a joke, meant to teach you to
match up the complexity of your application with the complexities of the
design artifacts you apply.

The best situation I think is where your framework allows you to start out
very simple, and allows your application to evolve and be refactored along
the way as demands on your application grow. We had that framework in as 2,
and havent yet in as3 unfortunately, but I'm sure we will eventually:).

regards
JC