One element I can think of is to make sure your game is playable by
color-blind folks.

If you're making any kind of game where you have to match groups of
similarly-colored objects, for instance, make sure that there's a way to
tell these objects apart other than by color. (The gems in Bejeweled, for
instance all have different shapes.) Either that, or make sure the
saturation of these colors is different enough that you can still tell them
apart even if you're color blind. (One trick I've seen is to take a
screenshot of your game, stick it in Photoshop, turn it grayscale, and see
if you can still tell your objects apart.)

I've also encountered a few games that have a "color-blind mode" option.
Turning this mode on replaces your nicely-colored stones with stones that
have patterns on top of them. That's also another option you could try.

All of this is assuming, of course, that you have a game where telling
colors apart matters.

--T