From: flashcoders-boun...@chattyfig.figleaf.com
[mailto:flashcoders-boun...@chattyfig.figleaf.com] On Behalf Of Kerry
Thompson
Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 11:13 AM
To: Flash Coders List
Subject: Re: [Flashcoders] current consensus of available Flash 3D
engines?

Karl DeSaulniers wrote:

> Well if Unity 3d is a good 3d program to use, then I am going to
learn.
> Just take a look at this. Wow.. nice functionality.

Unity is good. Real good. They're doing a lot of things right over
there.

Just to keep perspective, though, there are some downsides.

- Plug-in penetration is low
- It only does 3D
- For more complex apps, you need to go beyond the drag-and-drop stuff
and write code. I believe C# is the language of choice.
- It's relatively new. If you've been around a while, you have seen a
number of good technologies come and go. iTribe, mTropolis, Icon
Author, etc.

Of course, new apps sometimes succeed. Unity's main competition is
probably Director/Shockwave, which positions Unity very nicely. They
might make the cut--as I said, they have some Real Good People working
for them. The technology is there, and the marketing is making
inroads. Time will tell.

Cordially,

Kerry Thompson