Does HTML 5 do anything about the basically non-existant audio API in HTML?

I gather that the <canvas> tag was Apple's proposal. How does it compare with the graphical abilities of Flash or Director?

Microsoft has not implemented the <canvas> tag. Is the <canvas> tag in the W3C HTML 5 spec?

And how does the <canvas> tag compare with the ideas around SVG, which seems like a competing graphical API?

In an ideal world, we could use 'open' tools with 'open' standards to create our apps.

But what we have, instead, are corporations struggling with one another for business turf/markets.

I've been a Director programmer for over ten years. Seeing what Adobe is doing with Director, I have no allegiance to Adobe. Eventually it will be Flash's turn to suffer the same fate.

As go these big corporations and their products, so goes my work and your work? Then it's only a matter of time before it all becomes data trash.

By no means an ideal situation any way you look at it.

I was attracted to Director cuz I could do things with it that I couldn't do with any other tools. Flash is now the more popular and contemporary tool for doing these sorts of things. And it has equalled Director in various (though not all) ways. So I'm learning Flash.

But I wonder if it'll all be data trash in twenty years.

ja
http://vispo.com