Juan Pablo Califano wrote:

> Wow. That was really uncalled for.

That was my reaction, too. I didn't see Eric as complaining--just
asking. Maybe Henrik was just having a bad day.

> For me, the hard part, which you seem to imply is rather simple here, is
> *matching+ the input audio against said profiles. Admitedly, I don't know
> anything about digital signal processing and audio programming in general,
> but "matching" sounds a bit vague. Perhaps you could enlighten us, I you
> feel like.

I'm not Henrik, but I've done some lip-synch stuff for Disney. We did
it pretty much the way Eric described--we just used amplitude. It's
not as accurate as Disney would demand on a film, but it's ok in the
kids' game market.

Doing something more accurate would probably involve at least 6 mouth
positions, and if you're doing it in real time, you'd have to do a
reverse FFT. It can be done--there was a really good commercial
lip-synch program that generated Action Script to control mouth
positions. I don't know if it's still around--that was 5 years ago,
and it was pretty expensive (about $2,500 for one seat, I think). It
may even have been a Director Xtra that worked with a Flash Sprite,
but let's not talk about Director :-P

Cordially,

Kerry Thompson