This is particular to RobotLegs.

RobotLegs links a lot of the components in the Context* and then handles
dependency injection.

Other MVC frameworks may have different approaches, here's a good
comparison of Flash MVC frameworks:
http://www.slideshare.net/RichardLord/application-frameworks-the-good-the-bad-the-ugly

*In RobotLegs there is also the possibility to setup a different type of
Context that uses Signals instead of Events for some communication. This
provides greater type safety, but because signals can't replace all events
it leaves you with two systems to manage, so we ultimately decided against
it.