Dear MR. WEBSTER:
READ pages that you mention, and READ chapter 21, and I DO UNDERSTAND the concepts of the whitelist VERY well, and I DO have a CLEAR understanding of the mentioned concepts.
Rather than make a smart assed comment like "...it's probably worth making sure you've got a clear understanding of the concepts covered in the relevant and preceeding chapters...." or "...and then make sure you understand why that's a woefully insecure way of achieving your short term goal of getting the code to work...." and (my favorite), "...if you still don't
understand the concept of the whitelist,..."
you could offer a better answer...MY SHORT TERM GOAL IS NOT TO MAKE YOUR CODE WORK, but to see it in action so that I can better understand WHY it is working the way it does and to see if your concepts mentioned in your book can be of use in my own development.
     If that is your understanding of my questions, then please don't answer...I'll figure it out on my own. You have NO idea of how I have my system configured, or where I have placed 'your' code in relation to my install, so making your statements the way you did is just ludicrous. AND I resent your implication(s) that I don't UNDERSTAND the concept of what I am doing!
BTW...here is what I have in the whitelist and it still don't work smart guy! oh, wait, I forgot, don't answer me!
<whitelist>
            <!-- whitelist config for unnamed objects -->
            <unnamed>
    <source>com.bng.flex.remoteObject.*</source>
    <source>com.iterationtwo.boe.business.ApplicationDelegate</source>
    <source>com.iterationtwo.boe.business.CreditCardDelegate</source>
    <source>com.iterationtwo.boe.business.Responder</source>
    <source>*</source>
                <!--
                For security, the whitelist is locked down by default.
                Uncomment the source element below to enable access to all classes,
                or add the individual URLs you wish to access.
                We strongly recommend not allowing access to all source files
                in production, since this exposes Java and Flex system classes.
                <source>*</source>
                -->
            </unnamed>
            <!-- whitelist config for named objects -->
   <named>
    <object name="ApplicationDelegate">
    <source>com.iterationtwo.boe.business.ApplicationDelegate</source>
    <type>stateless-class</type>
    <allow-unnamed-access>false</allow-unnamed-access>
    <use-custom-authentication>false</use-custom-authentication>
    </object>
   </named>

Steven Webster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> did look at flex-config.mxml... not a clue sorry.

CTRL-F (Find) "whitelist" or "remote" or "remote-object in
flex-config.xml and you should find the whitelist....

> and the
> book it self doesn't seem to explain where or give example
> for whitelist..

Index at the back. W. Whitelist. Page 685 - "whitelists, overview
495-496"

On page 495-497, there are 3 pages of clear description of how to set the
whitelist for RemoteObject calls, HTTPService calls and WebService calls,
and the concept of named services and unnamed services. In fact Chapter 21
opens with a section titled "The Flex Whitelist".

Before trying to compile the code from the book and get the examples
working, it's probably worth making sure you've got a clear understanding
of the concepts covered in the relevant and preceeding chapters.

The code is there to underline points in the text, not vice versa.

Once you've read through the chapter material, if you still don't
understand the concept of the whitelist, go and set

*

and then make sure you understand why that's a woefully insecure
way of achieving your short term goal of getting the code to work.

Steven