Here, here! Doug has it exactly right.

Innovation flies in the face of standards, and by its success, can become a
kind of standard, even if it's not "the" standard. Lots of standards become
that way after the fact. Even when the success is, well, questionable, it can
become a standard after the fact. The NTSC/VC-1 with Microsoft comes to mind.
The Blu-Ray/HD-DVD war had as much to do with H.264 vs. VC-1 video standards as
it did the actual disc standards.

It is easy enough to argue that Microsoft is the great boat anchor of web
standards. Fine. I can see lots of business reasons for that. Whether it's open
source or Adobe moving ahead anyway, that's another business decision. But
innovation is going to happen, just as it always has, with or without a
committee standard. That's great news.

Will Flash get on the iPhone? Which is a proprietary, non-standard,
but-now-a-standard-unto-itself platform? Maybe, maybe not, for techincal and/or
business reasons. Is the Flash platform being proprietary bad? No. Is having to
learn to program the iPhone SDK bad? No.

My point? Don't hold your breath, or waste any breath over committee standards.
It's really okay to just enjoy the innovation that is taking place, proprietary
or not. It's also okay to develop on more than one platform.

- Cole