Well, this is research and I'm trying all possibilities, but I suppose you
could say the goal is to allow team A to embed team B's application in a tab
with the minimum of disruption to either team. Team B's application is
normally embedded in HTML and reads flashvars at startup (i.e. in a creation
complete handler).

I sort of expected SWFLoader to have a way to specify application
parameters.
In my googling, I found the link I referred to (in particular answer 2):

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/407858/passing-flashvars-style-parameters-to-a-loaded-swf

But  the sample code presented at the above link listens for an application
completed event from the loaded app before setting any parameters, and it
doesn't show how/when the embedded application reads the parameters.

So, while I have a more type-safe technique as presented by Amy, I'm left
wondering if there is a way to make a host application present the same
context to the embedded app that SWFObject does when the host application is
HTML.

If you have successfully used flashvars *and* read them in a
creationComplete handler I'd love to know how you did it. Presumably you set
the flashvars earlier than the example I linked to above did.