Flipping this whole discussion on its head for a moment....

Adobe used to have the best SVG runtime player in the land. It was fast, had
good support for the SVG standard and it was stable.

Then Adobe bought Macromedia. They discontinued development and support for
their SVG player because now they had Flash!

Adobe could, I'm sure, alter their Flash development tools to output
SVG+Javascript. In fact, I'd be surprised if they hadn't already experimented
with this.

If Adobe was as smart as they think they are, they'd RIGHT NOW fast-track
SVG+Javascript export into Flex and Flash IDEs. This would let them become the
premier tool for developing iPhone apps, standards-based web vector animations
and would encourage adoption of open standards at such a rate that it'd hobble
Silverlight into the bargain!

Of course that is just an idle dream, and instead they will keep pushing their
proprietary solution and wait for the killer open-standards IDE that will allow
developers to make full use of HTML 5 to pop up and change the market for them.
Then we will see Flash become a thing of the past.

eg check this out

http://demo.sproutcore.com/sample_controls/

Look familiar? Look ma! NO plugins, just HTML 5!

Vale Flash, you have been good to us, but your time is drawing to a close.
Steve Jobs has seen the future, and Flash ain't there.

Guy