--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, Guy Morton <g...@...> wrote:

> Jeez...it's *three* devices, and you *do* have a choice...

It's gonna be a hell of a lot more than just 3 portable devices, when Jobs
removes Flash from OSX.  That's every Mac in the world.  There are a LOT of
Macs out there...

The whole reason I chose to learn Flex is that it (at the time) ran on every
available platform.  It was THE cross-platform language to learn.

> You're annoyed because you're being shut out of a market you want to be in,
> but your arguments as to why you should be allowed into that market are
> specious.

My arguments are not specious -- I *was* a part of that market at one time.
I'm being shut out of a market through NO FAULT OF MY OWN.  Every Apple product
in the world will soon have zero support for Flash -- that's NOT what I signed
up for when I learned Flex.  The MAIN REASON I learned Flex was for its
cross-platform capabilites.  I never had to worry about what system my programs
were running on.  Now Apple is gone from that equation -- ergo 25% of my
customers just disappeared, unless I can get them all to buy PCs.  Thanks,
Steve!

> If you buy an iPod/Pad/Phone, you buy it as is, knowing what it can and can't
> do. It can't do Flash. If you don't like that, don't buy the device, it's
> really very simple. If you want to hack it to make it capable of running
> Flash, then sure, go ahead, no-one is going to sue you. You might not be able
> to claim on your warranty or update the OS once you do that but, yes, it's
> your choice if you want to go that way. Most people don't because most people
> can actually live without Flash, believe it or not.

I agree with you here -- knowing in advance that it doesn't run Flash is a good
thing, and people can then make a choice accordingly.  It just really angers me
if I were to own a device and some entity somewhere tells me I cannot run my
own software on it.  I would be ranting against MS or Linux just as angrily, if
they were to suddenly come out and say I couldn't run a particular piece of
software just because they "don't like it anymore."  (And, yes I read that
article where MS says that HTML5 is the 'future of the internet.'  They said
nothing about removing Flash support from Microsoft Windows in that article.
Steve Jobs IS going to remove Flash from all Apple products everywhere --
THAT'S my problem with this!)

> If you want to develop for the iP*, then learn objective C or use
> HTML5/Javascript. If you don't then don't. Again, it's a simple choice you
> can make.

It's NOT a simple choice -- learning a whole other programming language is not
a simple task.  Before old Steve-o came out against Flash, I could write one
program that would work on Windows, Linux, and Mac.  Now Mac is gone from that
equation -- thanks to some facist prick who thinks he knows everything that
everyone else should do.

> Technologies change, sometimes their fortunes rise and sometimes they fall.
> Flash has been the undisputed winner in the RIA wars up till now. Jobs is
> betting the future of the iP* platform on HTML5. Maybe he's wrong about it,
> but maybe he isn't. Time will tell.

Yes, technologies do change -- but it should be the free market that determines
which technologies survive and which don't, not some ivory-tower egghead who
determines by fiat what's best for everyone.  THAT'S why I called Steve Jobs a
bastard.  Perhaps I should've said elitist bastard to make it clearer.

I truly DESPISE it when ONE person has the power to mess up things in my life.
If everyone decided ON THEIR OWN to stop using Adobe Flash, that would be a
completely different story -- the majority would have spoken, and I could more
easily accept the outcome.  But Jobs is simply deciding that he knows best, and
we're going to all follow him because he's so damn smart.  THAT is not the free
market!