I’ll have to say I do agree with Scott, I’ve seen any number of companies out there that haven’t got a clue as to what they currently have, let alone try to bring them into the same realm. However, I will have to admit, when I started this contract, it was with the intent of having more hardware, budget has been affected with Flex, but I’m not sure how much yet. I won’t have a lot of users on the entire system. I currently have them going into the web server, which connects to the Flex/J2EE server and a MS SQL Server. I use the MS SQL server as the back end, the Web server (running .NET) as the middle tier, and the Flex for UI. With less then 200 users tops on the system, do you think I should buy more lic. And upgrade to multiple CPU’s? Please tell me how to justify the expense if this  setup isn’t going to work, or is going to be unsatisfactory. The current footprint on the client is 50K so I’m really trying to get this thing done ( I hate programs that take more then 64k) Lets get this thing so that everybody can use it.

James

http://www.24x7-systems.com

From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Scott Barnes
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 6:19 PM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [flexcoders] Flex Server Alternatives

To be blunt, FLEX was never built for Web Application Developers in the mainstream "web" environment. Its purpose was to take existing backend systems and provide a unified view infront of the user, allowing all disparate systems to some how come together as one, bringing balance to the force so to speak.

Yet, post-release people started to see a lot of potential surrounding FLEX and its ability to deliver to a much wider audience. That being said, Macromedia aren't dumb and they do listen to the fact that price is still a sore point for the web-agency-world and hopefully with Zorn this will also bring a new lease on life for Flash Platform.
`
I've been absolutely [EMAIL PROTECTED] off with the price when it first hit us, that being said i've now truly seen what FLEX does in terms of cost savings in much larger "Enterprise Service" orientated systems, and i'm now retracting my position, simply put, FLEX is dirt cheap compared to some other systems being sold on the market today that have less capabilities.

Through FLEX you can spend about $50k USD all up (seems like a lot), yet it gives you the ability shift perception on how content has been displayed to how it can be displayed, resulting in a point of difference that most "competitors" for commercial-grade systems suddenly dont have. On top of that, it can now allow folks to upgrade mainframes UI that have signs "Do not Touch" on them (ie they are so old that its hard to find folks to develop UI enhancments to them, so why not instead employ some java guys to write an api for it, then use FLEX as your UI?....computer FLEX against the entire workload ahead of you, and you start seeing its really the smallest piece in the puzzle).

Point is this, FLEX price model is out of reach for mainstream web, its sad atm, but it wasn't done for a dastardly reason...it was probably done because Macromedia didn't want to spread itself too thin amongst the different markets and needed to keep the eye on the ball (Enterprise would probably generate more revenue/profits).

Zorn by all appearance is going to shift that, its going to give folks like yourself the ability to bite into the forbidden fruit. It just requires patience for its release now :)