I’ve never used COBOL, but I haven’t heard anyone say they really liked working
in with it.  That’s not true for Flex so even if it gets marginalized because
it always remains locked to ActionScript and FlashPlayer, it may not be the
subject of cursing.

I’m not in disagreement that in the long term, the advantages of
Flex/ActionScript/FlashPlayer will be diminished by advances in the HTML/CSS/JS
stack.  That’s why Adobe has made a major strategic shift to become the tooling
leader in the HTML stack.  But that doesn’t mean that you should stop using
Flex/ActionScript/FlashPlayer right now.

Many folks who work with HTML/CSS/JS, even using the many libraries and
development methodologies available for it, still feel like the Flex paradigm
is superior.  Apparently, even Google agrees because they are trying to create
their own version of that paradigm with DART.  While translated code is never
as good, the productivity advantages of a better paradigm have been pretty much
proven to be worth it, otherwise, Flex wouldn’t have been that successful
either since MXML isn’t as efficient as pure ActionScript, and Google wouldn’t
have invested so much in writing their website logic in Java and/or Google
Closure and/or DART.

There is general support in the Apache Flex project for exploring ways of using
the Flex paradigm to create HTML5 apps.  Those working on the project are
motivated to future-proof their investment in Flex.  I don’t see any technical
issue blocking us from translating the paradigm to HTML5, and I invite all
those who like the Flex paradigm to participate.  But at the same time, there
is lots of work to be done, lots of solutions to be built, and lots of money to
be made on the Flex/AS/FP stack while we wait for the HTML5 stack to deliver on
its promises.