I think you are misunderstanding that I am saying.  Let me try it this
way and see if my point comes across more clearly.

A large portion of UML is dedicated to answering the question of WHAT
you are developing.  For example, use cases and activity diagrams both
focus on figuring out WHAT the problem set involves.  So as an
example, WHAT you are designing might be an account registration
process which needs to support the ability to validate a users
password by a pluggable number of password rules.  That is the WHAT.
It doesnt go into HOW you plan to implement that screen or process.

The HOW side would be modelled in something like a class diagram or a
state transtion diagram. It might model that you need to create an
interface (code not graphical interface) which defines an API for a
pluggable set of rules (say the Command pattern that Cainforn loves so
 much) etc.  UML can wonder from the WHAT and into the HOW in certain
digrams.  Some UML tools can generate source code to implement the HOW
side of the equation.

Yes I would argue that there is a lack of Flex specific UML tooling,
but Flex is very new.  I would not be surprised to see more UML code
generation tools.  Then again there are actually quite a few UML tools
that can generate AS itself.  A quick Google search reveals many.

http://www.google.com/search?q=actionscript+UML&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

I'm quite a fan of a product called Enterprise Architect which has
ActionScript 2 support in it.  Check it out at

http://www.sparxsystems.com/ea.htm

Hopefully I made my point about the difference between WHAT and HOW in
UML.  The confusion came in that you were not interested in code
generation.

I will leave my editorial comments about code generation and Caingorn
for another thread.  For folks that have followed my threads here for
the last few years I think my position is well known.

--
Dave Wolf
Cynergy Systems, Inc.

Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Office: 866-CYNERGY

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Bjorn Schultheiss"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The cowboy disagrees.
>
> I have just heard you pour your heart out about your innovative
approaches
> to developement process and how cool your UI's are.
> Then in the next paragraph let me quote.
> I dont think that your choice of HOW you develop software has any
impact on
> WHAT you are developing,
>
> I for one would be all for the developement of a UML tool or FB
plugin that
> will generate code that leverages the Cairngorm framework.
>

> Regards,
>
> Bjorn Schultheiss
> Senior Flash Developer
> QDC Technologies
>

>   _____

ystems.com/blogs

> Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:dave.wolf%40cynergysystems.com>
stems.com
> Office: 866-CYNERGY
>
> --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com>
ups.com,
> "Joost Nuijten" <flexcoders@> wrote:
> >
> > Sometimes I wish Flex development was more like traditional
application
> > development. At the other hand I shiver at the thought that the
> coolness of
> > Flex is degraded to this way of working. Flex = Flash. And Flash is
> supposed
> > to be a creative chaos, cool, far away of the boreness of the IT
> world and
> > full of passion. That is how it's supposed to be.
> >
> > But it really depends on your kind of business...
> >
> > ~joost
> >
> > _____
> >
> > Van: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com> ups.com
> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com>
ups.com]
> Namens
> > Thomas Rühl -akitogo-
> > Verzonden: maandag 7 augustus 2006 9:59
> > Aan: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com> ups.com
> > Onderwerp: Re: [flexcoders] Re: [Flex2] What do you use for
modelling a
> > Flex2 application...?
> >

> > Thanks for your interest so far... but this isn't really the
> direction I
> > intended to point out.
> >
> > Dave, I know that the documentation and modelling process basically
> > doesn't depend on HOW an application is written. I'm not trying from
> > model to generated code, although it would be really neat to do so in
> > some cases ;)
> >
> > My concern is to evolve a process, starting with modelling an
> > application the "good old" way using software architecture
> > possibilities. This not only helps me to evaluate and improve an
> > application, in fact it is also important for me regarding
> documentation
> > and maintenance processes.
> >
> > Again, I do not necessarily want to generate the code based on a
UML or

<http://www.akitogo.com> com>