I agree, they should push FDS. The question is, should they push their version or Midnights version?

This is the same issue with AMFPHP. MM didn't push it but the acknowledged it and even had some tutorials on how to use it.

To ask a company to push someone else's product that does the same as their product is a big request. Maybe they'll bake it into their product and maximize their revenue by reaching more languages or they could forget the revenue and stifle their FDS development since someone else already did it.

This isn't going to go anywhere, seriously. Adobe is going to do what is best for the biz then for the community, like pretty much any biz.

On 10/6/06, ben.clinkinbeard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> why the heck should they push it?!?
Because it makes Flex more attractive/a legitimate possibility to a
MUCH larger audience.

> Adobe (and Macromedia before) are (IMHO) doing a lousy job in
> promoting ColdFusion to other than the already converted.
How so? Pretty much every tutorial out there focuses on a Java and/or
CF backend.

I get the feeling that some of you think switching backends is the
easy part of the equation, which is totally not the case. Flex (the
framework, player, etc) is a front-end, client technology. That is
where its real value and revolutionary capabilities lie. One of its
main strengths is that it can be "slapped onto" virtually any
technology stack and significantly improve both the user experience
and the client-side development process.

Switching backends is anywhere from extremely difficult to impossible.
I work in a large, enterprise scale organization that primarily uses a
Microsoft technology stack. I was able to convince them to use Flex
precisely because of its technology agnosticism; give me some web
services and I'm good. If I had said "well, we'll need to get a CF
license and write some EJBs, etc" I would have been laughed out of the
room. Its simply not an option.

If the goal is to increase the number of Flex developers, why would
you shut out (or at least actively ignore) everyone not on a CF/Java
stack? That makes no sense. Flex is a very large part of Adobe's
future, so they should absolutely promote any technology that makes
using it easier and/or lowers the barriers to entry.

Ben
http://www.returnundefined.com/

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "barry.beattie" < [EMAIL PROTECTED]>

--