Actually, this is worth going back to, because your initial email said that
the group was "stagnant" and has plateaued with the number of new users and
questions. Except your reason for bringing it up is that the traffic has
gotten too much for you to read every message. So clearly the level of
traffic isn't stagnant. Unless what you're saying is that about 6 months ago
the traffic reached a critical level where you couldn't deal with the
traffic but then it stopped growing.

So I guess I'm saying I question the claim that this list is "stagnant".
Almost 10,000 members and an average of 100 messages a day. Are you saying
that these stats have been the same for the past 6 months? And even if that
is true (although I'd like to see numbers before I accept that) then I don't
even necessarily think that this indicates that there's a problem. There's a
simple fact that a ton of questions have already been accurately answered by
this list. I would hope that the archived knowledge of the list serves to
answer more and more questions that newcomers have, meaning they don't need
to post the questions over and over.

What is the real problem? I haven't heard anyone say that the traffic on
this single list has stopped them from asking any questions (although I'm
open to the possibility that this is true, and just hasn't been voiced). And
largely I think that the number of people answering questions has remained
high and the response times are still good. I have heard that the traffic
level has stopped people from reading the questions that others ask (I
certainly skim and sometimes skip entire days). I'd argue that a combination
of self-moderated subject tagging, as well as more aggressive pointing
repeat questions to cached answered (and then tagging the entire thread as a
repeat) will largely solve this problem.

So do you have numbers that indicate the stagnation you are worried about?

Doug