Bill

This was the last message on the topic that I read. Kill the horse, since
you hit on the MOST important of all facts which make this radio different
than others, in your last paragraph. The many comments about the 'review'
hit on many aspects which make it a great radio but still not unique.

The truly unique factor IS: it is the ONLY UDR, User Defined Radio. It IS
the users who are 'building' this radio, and will keep it newer all the
time. Newer is NOT always better, (vis a vis beta releases) but is always
the key to constant evolution, TOWARDS better, which a fixed hardware system
will do an order of magnitude slower than software. It IS the key, however,
to making it better. You want better? Buy the next ricebox with new knobs
for another 2 to 10 grand and a slight proprietary change in the control
software!

This version of the hardware is solid and reaching the practical limit of
what this version of the hardware portion of the radio can be. Even the
ECO's were initially user suggested or contributed by collective discussion
or expertise from users. Hopefully Gerald is not too exhausted to be
designing the next version of the hardware. After all it is contra
entempreneur, and BIG Business oriented, in that the improvements are user
contributed and use the SAME hardware! The SAME Radio (hardware) which keeps
"getting better" is a death knell in conventional business. Just maybe there
is a new Amateur paradigm at work? I hope so for Gerald's sake.

I and others who bought the radio hardware early have MANY times mentioned,
perhaps a revival of sorts of what Amateur Radio was meant to be, and if it
is to survive MUST be! Innovation, Advancement of the state of the art of
communications. In that current advancement, technology such as Internet,
Teamspeak as well as HF communications actually play a synergistic role. All
of these have contributed to the SDR-1000 to NOT DIE. It IS the users who
are the momentum for this effort, NOT FlexRadio Systems, who just
'facillitated' our user effort to the platform we were offered. Almost EVERY
new SDR-1000 owner becomes a contributor to the 'state of the art' serving
as 'elmers' to the existing base as well as every new owner' THIS IS WHAT
Amateur Radio was meant to be.

If we are lulled to sleep by Yeasu, Icom, Kenwood with the profit, appliance
motive in mind, AMATEUR radio will die.

I still remember the long trip to the Lafayette Radio store RT 17, Paramas
NJ. in 1964, as WN2WYK, and purchasing a NEW 7.187 crystal for my DX-60
being absolutely THRILLED by the thought of being able to work yet another
fixed frequency as a novice. The SAME feeling is back when I bought the
SDR-1000 and became a User Defining the Radio a UDR!

Eric - AA4SW
C'est La Vie Ham Radio!