David Megginson wrote:

> Norman Vine writes:
>
>  > The general rule of thumb for portable applications is to use
>  > the lowest common denominator or in the case filenames
>  >
>  > use the 8.3 rule
>  >
>  > max 8 letters for a file or directory name
>  > max 3 letters for a file extension
>  >
>  > do not use case to differentiate names
>  >
>  > do not use spaces in a name
>  >
>  > FlightGear is supposed to be an 'OS' agnostic application
>  > so IMHO we should stick to the above guidelines
>
> The question is whether any operating systems that have hardware
> capable of running FlightGear still fall into the 8.3 restriction.

No I don't think so. And if they do files probably get truncated.

BUT: FG doesn't care! It can use (or at least should) any files with any
extensions (as long the data format is correct).

The only reason why we should decide a standard is that you can tell the
OS to start FGFS with that file as soon as you double click on it (or do
a similar action which is OS dependant) and that the user can imagine
what that funny file LA_Airport.flightgear_startup_file is for.

> We also need a couple of good icons [...]

Artists: please read the KDE icon styleguide (od the Windos style guide;
there's perhaps also one for MacOS, ect.) It also tells you the required
icon sizes (IIRC 16x16, 24x24, 32x32, 48x48 and 64x64, at least a
version containing only the 16 system colours and a 16bit version) also
use symbols that are the same all over the world (e.g. no letters and
try to avoid people).

So David's plane should be ok (or made ok w/o much trouble), I just
don't know if it scales down easily (probably does)

CU,
Christian

--
The idea is to die young as late as possible.        -- Ashley Montague

Whoever that is/was; (c) by Douglas Adams would have been better...